Professor Bernard Arnest, a Denver native born in 1917, was a professor of art at Colorado College from 1957â1982. He was Chairman of the Art Department for 17 of those 25 years. A noted painter whose works have been exhibited at various galleries throughout the country, Arnest received his formal training at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center School of Art from 1935 to 1939.
Dolores S. Atencio (CC class of 1977) graduated from Colorado College with a degree in Political Science. She attended the University of Denver College of Law, and was admitted to the Colorado Bar in October, 1981. A native of Pueblo, Colorado, Ms. Atencio discusses her strong Chicano heritage and her perspectives as a minority student at Colorado College. She actively participated in MECHA (Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano Aztlan), the Chicano student organization on the campus. In 1979, she, along with her former husband, Randy Serna (CC class of 1974) founded the Colorado College Chicano Alumni Association.
Professor Otis Barnes taught chemistry at Colorado College from 1925-1962. He was active in the formation of the athletics policy at Colorado College, and also, along with his wife, endowed the Barnes Chemistry Scholarships for Colorado College chemistry majors. Barnes discusses the department, the curriculum, the faculty and the effect of WWII on the campus. He provides a brief history of the hockey program, including star players at the time and the involvement of El Pomar and the Broadmoor.
A prolific writer, a much sought-after speaker, and a highly respected professor, Richard Beidleman is one of Colorado College's most notable faculty members. He taught zoology from 1957-1968 and biology from 1968-1988. His research interests centered on the role of natural scientists in frontier America and Australia, and he helped author high school and junior high school biology textbooks, among approximately 250 other published works. The Colorado Springs community knows him best as a dedicated environmental activist who fought for many years for such causes as the preservation of the White House Ranch and the Garden of the Gods Park, the prevention of strip mining along Front Range quarries, and the successful League of Women Voters lawsuit against the City of Colorado Springs regarding the Palmer deeded parks. He served on the Colorado State Parks Board for eight years, including three and a half years as its chairman and succeeded, among other things, in obtaining Muehler Ranch as a state park. The Beidleman Environmental Center at Sondermann Park was established in his honor by the City of Colorado Springs.
William Gile âTimâ Boddington (CC class of 1972) was a Colorado Springs native. He attended Lake Forest College in Illinois during the 1968-69 academic year but transferred to Colorado College in the fall of 1969 and graduated with a B.S. in geology. His interview includes his reflections on academic, athletic and social life at Colorado College during the early 1970âs.
Professor Boucher (CC class of 1918), Department of Physics, came to Colorado College as a student in 1915. He describes the lab facilities in Palmer Hall and his work with wireless radios and soldiers on campus during WWI. After serving one year in the Army in the Signal Corps, Boucher went to graduate school, and then returned to CC to teach physics from 1921 to 1924. Following a year as instructor at Rice University, he came back to Colorado College in 1925 and taught until his retirement in 1961. Professor Boucher is especially well known for his work in the field of photography. Professor Boucher talks about the Depression's effect on the College, salary cuts, building of Shove Chapel, Saturday Knights, Manly Ormes, Arthur Blakely, and Earl Bryson. He also discusses the publishing of his photography books and photographic travel.
Mr. Wilber "Bill" Lamb Bowers was a well-known Colorado Springs photographer. His maternal grandfather was Henry Lamb, a pioneer chemist and assayer who taught in the Colorado College Chemistry Department and who was the photographer of the famous early Cutler Hall photo. Bill Bowers' mother also taught in the Chemistry Department, and his father, Clarence Bowers, taught in the College Conservatory of Music from 1896 to 1905. Bill Bowers was a 1927 graduate of the University of Arizona, served in the U.S. Army during World War II, and, after the war, established a photography business in Colorado Springs with his brother-in-law, Lloyd Knutson. Knutson-Bowers Photographers had a long association with Colorado College.
Professor Wallace Boyce was a faculty member in the Romance Languages Department at Colorado College from 1950 until his retirement in 1979. He received his B.A. from Williams, his M.A. from Middlebury, and his Ph.D. from Princeton in 1956. Before coming to Colorado College, Boyce served in the Army at Camp Carson in the 1940s, and was an intelligence officer in the European Theater in the Second World War. He also coached the Colorado College tennis team from 1953 to 1958, sang in the Colorado College choir for many years and was chairman of the Romance Languages department between 1958 and 1967.
Professor Richard C. Bradley received his B.A. in Physics from Dartmouth College in 1943. Following wartime service in the U.S. Naval Reserve, he completed a Ph.D. in Physics at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1953. From 1953-1961 he was a researcher and faculty member at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. In 1961, he came to Colorado College as Associate Professor of Physics, and was promoted to Full Professor in 1966. He retired from a long and distinguished career at Colorado College in 1987, including six years as Dean of the Faculty and Dean of the College from 1973 to 1979. Active in environmental politics both at the local and national level, Bradley served as president of the Springs Area Beautiful Association from 1971 to 1973, and as a trustee of the National Parks Association from 1966 to 1976. An avid cross-country skier, he is also noted for his interest in music as a long-time member of the Colorado Springs Chorale, the Colorado Opera Festival Board, and as a composer of some note.
Grace Brannon arrived in Colorado Springs with her parents in 1916 and attended Columbia grade school and Colorado Springs High School. As a student at Colorado College, she majored in romance languages (CC class of 1927). Mrs. Brannon describes the importance of social and athletic activities during her time as a student at Colorado College, including: attitudes towards sex (1920's), the Bruin Inn, Minerva Society, cars, alcohol, dances, clothing, athletics, homecoming, and Colorado College songs. She talks about memorable professors: Charles Latimer, Rebecca Hartness, Robert F. Snyder, Ralph J. Gilmore. Administrators whom she remembers were: Manly Ormes, President Charles Mierow, Mabel Barbee Lee. She reflects on her work as an alumni trustee from 1958 to 1964. Other interests discussed are the League of Women Voters and the Democratic Party.
Born in Kerrville, Texas in August 1931, Professor Brooks received his B.A. and M.A. degrees at the University of Texas, and his Ph.D. at Johns Hopkins University in 1960. He joined the faculty of Colorado College's Political Science Department in the fall of 1960, was promoted to Assistant Professor in 1961, to Associate Professor in 1964, and to Full Professor in 1970. Brooks was the chief architect of Colorado College's Block Plan, which went into effect in the fall of 1970. From 1979 through 1987, he served as Dean of the College, and from 1991 to 1993 as Director of Strategic Planning. His principal interests in public policy and in curricular and managerial reform in higher education led him to international consultancies in Africa and at the Universidad de Puebla, Mexico.
Arthur Bryson was both a graduate (CC class of 1911) and an alumni trustee of Colorado College from 1948-1949. Following a 34-year career as an investment banker for Halsey Stewart and Company in Chicago, he retired in Colorado Springs in 1946, where he founded the Colorado Springs Charter Association, and the Springs Area Beautiful Association. His second wife was the former Dorothy Printup Hulbert Wing. During his time as a student at Colorado College, he was the editor of both The Tiger and The Nugget.
Dorothy Printup Hulbert Bryson was an instructor in Greek and Latin at Colorado College from 1921-1925. In 1923 she married history professor and noted historian Archer Butler Hulbert who became head of the Stewart Commission on Western History. After his death in 1933, she served as editor of the Commission until 1941. She returned to Colorado College between 1951 and 1960, working in various capacities: as head resident, summer school secretary, and part-time English instructor. She was active in many community organizations including the Woman's Educational Society. She received an honorary doctorate of humane letters from Colorado College in 1989. Her third husband was A. Earl Bryson (CC class of 1911).
William M. Calvert (CC class of 1944) attended Colorado College from 1940 to 1943, and received his Bachelor of Arts in political science in absentia in 1944. When the Navy V-12 unit arrived on the Colorado College campus in 1942, Calvert automatically became a member, for he had enlisted in the Naval Reserves shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. He served in the Pacific Theater in World War II. Calvert entered the University of Colorado School of Law in 1946, and received his Juris Doctorate in 1948. In 1961, he was elected District Judge, and he held that post until his retirement in 1981. Judge Calvert was a member of the Saturday Knights, the prestigious Colorado Springs hiking club.
Gerald C. âJerryâ Carle first came to Colorado College in 1948 as assistant football coach and head basketball and baseball coach. Recalled to military service during the Korean War in 1951, he was rehired by Colorado College in 1957 as head football coach and Athletic Director. He held the latter job until 1982, but continued as football coach and golf coach until his retirement in 1990. During his 33-year tenure at the College, he was involved in planning many changes in athletic facilities, including the building of Honnen Ice Rink, Schlessman Pool, and El Pomar Sports Center, as well as policies and programs, including the growth of intramural soccer and women's sports.
Professor Carter joined the faculty in the Department of History at Colorado College in 1945. Carter talks about people who were at the college during that time (Hershey, Abbott, Malone, Worner). Many of the students were WWII veterans. Because faculty salaries were very low (highest salary was $3600), Carter organized the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) chapter and worked with President Gill to draft salary ranks and faculty tenure policies. Carter talks about the effects of the McCarthy era on the Colorado College campus, and President's Gill's defense of those targeted. He resigned as History Department Chair in 1959. Carter was curator of the Hulbert Collection of Western Americana. He talks about his own writing: western fur trade, Hafen sketches of mountain men, Kit Carson, limerick writing, and his philosophy of teaching.
Kay Niederhut Caunt (CC class of 1972) came to Colorado College from her home in Denver, Colorado, and graduated with a B.A. in history. Her interview focuses on campus life as a married student, campus attitudes toward the Vietnam War, and her early involvement in politics. She was a state legislative candidate in 1974, a member of the Colorado Democratic Party's executive committee and rules committee and worked with the Colorado Springs-El Paso County CETA Manpower Planning Council.
Earl H. "Dutch" Clark, (CC class of 1930) who graduated from Colorado College as a biology major, remains CC's most famous athlete. A Pueblo, Colorado native, he became the first football player from the state of Colorado to be named All-American in 1928. He is a charter member of the Intercollegiate Football Hall of Fame, Rutgers, the National Professional Football League Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame, and the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. He was chosen as an all-pro quarterback for six consecutive years. Following a career as a professional football player (Portsmouth Spartans and Detroit Lions) and coach (Detroit Lions, Cleveland Rams, Detroit University), he later worked at the Michigan Tool and Die Company.
William D. Copeland (CC class of 1919) served as instructor in English and secretary of the College from 1920 to 1935. He later served as president of Lincoln College in Lincoln, Illinois, vice president of Lake Forest College in Illinois, president of Rocky Mountain College in Billings, Montana, and pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Polson, Montana. Copeland gives his impressions of Colorado College both before and after World War I, including memories of Presidents Slocum, Duniway, Mierow, and Davies. He talks about the effects of the Depression,"straight-laced CC" in the 1920's, athletic teams, fraternities, and the San Luis School. Faculty mentioned in the interview: Cajori, Schneider, Parsons, Blum, Parrish, Hills, Howe, Hulbert, Gilmore, Strieby, and Okey.
Fern Pring Corley came to Colorado Springs in 1907, attending Garfield Elementary School and Colorado Springs High School. Corley (CC class of 1922) majored in chemistry. Her father, William J. Pring, was a pioneer rancher in the Pikes Peak region, and her husband's father, Mr. W. D. Corley, built the Corley Mountain Highway, now called the Gold Camp Road, on the roadbed of the old Short Line Railroad to Cripple Creek. Mrs. Corley describes student life at Colorado College including tuition, the Bruin Inn, student jobs, football, women's sports, freshman hazing, pranks, campus buildings, literary societies and Monument Valley Park. Included in the interview are descriptions of her early childhood in Colorado Springs, her family's early history in the area, and her husband's businesses.
Dr. William Drea was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts on September 5, 1885. Dr. Drea arrived in Colorado Springs in 1917 as a tuberculosis patient, having been a faculty member of the Harvard Dental School before becoming ill. A dentist and a radiologist, he was a lecturer on X-ray in the physics department at Colorado College from 1922 through 1960. From 1928 through 1952 he was also Associate Research Director at the Colorado Foundation for Research in Tuberculosis. At the time of his interview, Dr. Drea was 91 and still a frequent visitor to Tutt Library. He was known for his lively conversation and keen sense of humor which made him a favorite among the library staff. He always wore a fresh cut flower in his coat lapel. He describes Colorado College faculty and administrators: Professor Cajori, Manly Ormes, Louise Kampf, Professor Tileston, Presidents Duniway and Mierow, along with memories of the Cragmor Sanitorium.
A native of Philadelphia born in 1917, Dr. George V. Fagan received his B.S. and M.A. degrees from Temple University, his Master of Library Science degree from the University of Denver in 1957 and a Ph.D. in History from the University of Pennsylvania in 1954. A World War II veteran, he served as librarian of the United States Air Force Academy for 15 years before his retirement from the Air Force in 1969 with the rank of Colonel. From 1969 to 1983 he was head librarian at Colorado College's Tutt Library. During his tenure, he added more than 100,000 volume to the library, established the Special Collections Division, created the Lincoln Room and CC Room, oversaw the planning and construction of the 25,000 square-foot addition to the library, and established the Friends of the Library. In 1988 Dr. Fagan authored a book entitled, The Air Force Academy: An Illustrated History.
William A. Fischer was a faculty member in the Geology Department at Colorado College from 1949-1982, becoming department chair in 1978. In 1959, commissioned by the United States National Park Service, he conducted a study of the disastrous earthquake in Yellowstone National Park. This study resulted in a series of articles entitled, "Yellowstone's Living Geology." Professor Fischer recalls colleagues, presidents, and changes in the campus, including the transition to the Block Plan.
Alan Fisher (CC class of 1968) grew up in Wichita, Kansas attending Wichita State for one year before transferring to Colorado College in 1965. Graduating with his Bachelor of Arts in Political Science in 1968, he served in the U.S. Army until 1971. He received a Master of Library Science in 1972 from Denver University, and a Master of Arts in Business from the University of Nebraska in 1976. He served as reference librarian at Tutt Library from 1977 to 1983. Alan describes campus life and attitudes during the late 1960's.